– Gold Krugerrand coin worth $1,200 put in charity kettle – this time in Alaska
– Mystery Salvation Army gold donors keep giving Gold Krugerrands
– Gold, like pounds, euros and dollars can be used for good or ill
– Give the gift of gold in this the Season of Kindness
Gold Krugerrands (1 oz) being used for good
Salvation Army staff in Alaska got a big surprise while counting change from their red kettles last Friday.
An anonymous donor dropped a gold bullion coin, worth $1,250, into a Salvation Army kettle at a store in Alaska.
“This is so unusual, we were just thrilled,” said Janet Kincaid, who chairs the Mat-Su Salvation Army board and serves on the Anchorage Salvation Army Board.
Kincaid realized the coin was special — it’s a Gold Krugerrand from South Africa — as they were counting out lower-denomination change.
“And I looked at it and I thought, ‘Oh whoa! This is one of those!”
Gold coins show up in the Salvation Army’s kettles every year, usually anonymously and in other parts of the country.
This is the first Gold Krugerrand believed to have been dropped into one of the red buckets in Alaska.
Kincaid said she thought the earthquake might’ve had something to do with the donation, because the area where it was given was hit hard.
And while Kincaid said people have been especially generous this year, the coin is a random gift that tops all others.
“We find all sorts of things, like washers and screws. All other kind of coins. Sometimes we find an alcoholics coin that’s a symbol of their sobriety,” Kincaid said. “You know, men in particular, they just clean out their pockets and drop it in.”
The Gold Kruggerand was likely not the result of someone cleaning out their pockets, or an accident, she said. That’s because it was in a plastic sleeve and came with a note in memory of someone.
Kincaid said she doesn’t want to reveal the name, because it was given anonymously, and she doesn’t know if the person wants their loved one’s name made public.
Editors note: The Salvation Army Gold Krugerrand story is a heart warming story that we feature every year. It shows how gold bullion is neither good nor bad in and of itself.
How could it be given it is simply a rare, finite precious metal in pure form?
Rather like euros, pounds, dollars and all forms of money and indeed like all finite, natural resources on this small planet of ours, gold can be used for good or for ill.
“The desire of gold is not for gold. It is for the means of freedom and benefit” as Ralph Waldo Emerson pointed out.
News and Commentary
Gold Prices (LBMA PM)
11 Dec: USD 1,248.25, GBP 988.99 & EUR 1,096.59 per ounce
10 Dec: USD 1,246.80, GBP 980.61 & EUR 1,092.57 per ounce
07 Dec: USD 1,241.20, GBP 972.98 & EUR 1,091.51 per ounce
06 Dec: USD 1,236.45, GBP 971.48 & EUR 1,091.66 per ounce
05 Dec: USD 1,236.15, GBP 970.13 & EUR 1,090.16 per ounce
04 Dec: USD 1,239.25, GBP 966.74 & EUR 1,086.45 per ounce
Silver Prices (LBMA)
11 Dec: USD 14.64, GBP 11.62 & EUR 12.85 per ounce
10 Dec: USD 14.53, GBP 11.48 & EUR 12.73 per ounce
07 Dec: USD 14.49, GBP 11.34 & EUR 12.73 per ounce
06 Dec: USD 14.38, GBP 11.28 & EUR 12.68 per ounce
05 Dec: USD 14.48, GBP 11.34 & EUR 12.75 per ounce
04 Dec: USD 14.55, GBP 11.35 & EUR 12.77 per ounce
Recent Market Updates
– EU Recession Imminent – Euro Disunion as Brexit, Italy and End of QE Loom
– Gold and Silver Gained 2% and 3% Last Week While Stocks Dropped Nearly 5%
– Irish Central Bank Refuses To Discuss Gold Reserves In Bank of England Vaults
– “Fake Markets” To Lead to Global Financial Crisis? – Goldnomics Podcast
– Gold Is “Coiled” and Looks Set To Surge Like Natural Gas — Bloomberg Intelligence
– “Collapse Of Civilisation Is On The Horizon” – Attenborough Warns World Leaders
– Deutsche Bank May Cause The Next Global Crisis
– Ireland’s Mr Gold Reveals Nuggets Of Wisdom For When The Next Crash Comes
– BREXIT May Lead to UK Property Crash and Depression
– General Motors And General Electric Highlight The Ponzi Scheme That Is The US Economy