– Irish gold artefacts form pre-history discovered in field in Ireland
– “Very significant” find by farmer of “arm sized” rings in Donegal
– Irish gold artefacts akin to bracelets may be some sort of currency or money says Museum curator
(Photo: Caroline Carr, Donegal County Museum)
An Irish farmer from County Donegal has discovered gold artefacts believed to be an ancient currency or money thousands of years old and from pre-history.
Norman Witherow uncovered the gold objects on Saturday when he was digging a drain in a field
The artefacts remained in his kitchen and car boot until Tuesday when his friend, who is a jeweller, told him that it needed to be reported.
Initial observations by staff from the National Museum of Ireland date the gold from at least the Bronze Age (c. 3200–600 BC) or even earlier.
Experts from the Donegal County Museum believe that the artefacts were used as some sort of currency during the Bronze Age.
The beautiful round gold objects, which are over four inches in diameter, are too big to be rings and too small to be bracelets and hence the view that they may be a form of ancient currency or money.
Museum staff were shocked and astounded by the discovery of the gold artefacts.
“This is a once in a lifetime find for our county and we are absolutely delighted,” said assistant curator of the Donegal County Museum Caroline Carr.
News and Commentary
Gold Prices (LBMA AM)
04 Jul: USD 1,256.90, GBP 951.47 & EUR 1,079.80 per ounce
03 Jul: USD 1,245.85, GBP 944.85 & EUR 1,068.81 per ounce
02 Jul: USD 1,249.00, GBP 948.87 & EUR 1,072.39 per ounce
29 Jun: USD 1,250.55, GBP 950.29 & EUR 1,073.85 per ounce
28 Jun: USD 1,250.50, GBP 955.26 & EUR 1,081.68 per ounce
27 Jun: USD 1,256.80, GBP 951.40 & EUR 1,079.97 per ounce
Silver Prices (LBMA)
04 Jul: USD 16.05, GBP 12.15 & EUR 13.78 per ounce
03 Jul: USD 15.93, GBP 12.08 & EUR 13.68 per ounce
02 Jul: USD 15.98, GBP 12.14 & EUR 13.73 per ounce
29 Jun: USD 16.03, GBP 12.20 & EUR 13.77 per ounce
28 Jun: USD 16.11, GBP 12.30 & EUR 13.90 per ounce
27 Jun: USD 16.21, GBP 12.27 & EUR 13.93 per ounce
Recent Market Updates
– Gold $10,000 In Currency Reset? Russia, China Gold Demand To Overwhelm Gold Futures Manipulation (GOLDCORE VIDEO)
– Italian Debt – A Financial Disaster Waiting To Happen
– As The Currency Reset Begins – Get Gold As It Is “Where The Whole World Is Heading”
– Buy Gold Or Bitcoin As The “Liquidity Party” Is Ending?
– Why Russia and Turkey Diversifying Into Gold May Signal A Bigger Global Shift
– London House Prices Fall 1.9% In Quarter – Bubble Bursting?
– Gold Exports To London From U.S. Surge 152% In 2018
– Manipulation of Gold & Silver by Bullion Banks Is “Undeniable”
– “Perfect Environment For Gold” As Fed Will Weaken Dollar and Create Inflation – Rickards
– Russia Buys 600,000 oz Of Gold In May After Dumping Half Of US Treasuries In April
– In Gold, Silver and Bitcoin We Trust? Goldnomics Podcast with Ronald-Peter Stoeferle
– Own A “Bit Of Gold” As We Are Moving Ever Closer To A Trade War
– Bitcoin Price To $0 Or $1 Million In One Year? MoneyConf 2018 Poll
– Cashless Society – Good or Bad? MoneyConf 2018 Video
– Do We Still Need Banks In The Age Of Fintech?