The Best Ways to Invest in Gold Today
– The cost of buying and selling gold
– How to buy gold on the cheap
– How to avoid paying capital gains tax (CGT) on your gold
– Open an account with one of the online bullion dealers – the likes of GoldMoney, GoldCore or Bullion Vault
– Gold Sovereigns and Gold Britannias make for a considerable saving on cost because of the CGT exemption
Dominic Frisby has looked at the best ways to invest in gold in the UK’s best selling financial publication Money Week.
Frisby looks at the various ways to invest in and own gold and points how gold ETFs are not much cheaper than online gold bullion dealers such as GoldMoney, GoldCore or Bullion Vault and yet there is the difficulty of taking delivery which is “cumbersome.”
The other important consideration when investing in gold is to consider the tax implications and the capital gains tax (CGT).
Buyers of gold ETFs and digital gold through e-gold providers like Bullion Vault and GoldMoney are subject to capital gains tax. However buyers of Gold Britannias and Gold Sovereigns are not subject to this expensive tax:
Competition between ETFs and bullion dealers has conspired to drive down prices, much to the benefit of the consumer. But there is one huge cost that neither of these methods is able to avoid – tax. This assumes you’re not buying your gold via an ISA or a SIPP, which it is, for the most part, possible to do via ETF or bullion dealer.
Capital gains tax (CGT) currently stands at 20% in the UK for higher rate taxpayers and 10% for lower. Funds don’t pay CGT. It is paid by the investor when they sell or redeem, assuming they made a profit. It kicks in once you have made profits of more than £11,100 in a year (£11,300 from next tax year).
So over and above that level, you’re facing an unavoidable 10% or 20% cost for buying and selling gold at a profit. It used to be 18% or 28%. We have George Osborne and his team to thank for lowering it – but even at current rates, it’s a considerable dent to profits.
There’s another method of buying gold (and silver), which, quite legally, avoids this cost altogether. There is a slightly higher premium to spot when you buy, there are slightly higher storage costs, and there is a slight discount to spot when you sell – but we are talking about a few per cent here, nothing like 20%.
Given the potential savings involved, it’s surprising that more UK investors don’t buy their gold and silver in this way. The method I’m describing, if you haven’t already figured it out, is to buy sovereigns and Britannias.
Frisby concludes the piece by pointing out how GoldCore offer capital gains tax (CGT) free gold sovereigns and gold britannias and how Frisby likes GoldCore:
“I like Goldcore. You can deal with them either over the phone or open an account online. You can buy sovereigns, Britannias, bars and probably even bells, and they’ll take care of the storage too.”
Access the Article On Money Week here
Gold and Silver Bullion – News and Commentary
Gold Prices (LBMA AM)
20 Mar: USD 1,233.00, GBP 993.92 & EUR 1,146.57 per ounce
17 Mar: USD 1,228.75, GBP 991.85 & EUR 1,140.53 per ounce
16 Mar: USD 1,225.60, GBP 998.74 & EUR 1,143.24 per ounce
15 Mar: USD 1,202.25, GBP 986.69 & EUR 1,132.04 per ounce
14 Mar: USD 1,203.55, GBP 992.33 & EUR 1,130.86 per ounce
13 Mar: USD 1,207.80, GBP 989.79 & EUR 1,132.07 per ounce
10 Mar: USD 1,196.55, GBP 983.56 & EUR 1,127.15 per ounce
Silver Prices (LBMA)
20 Mar: USD 17.23, GBP 13.92 & EUR 16.03 per ounce
17 Mar: USD 17.40, GBP 14.08 & EUR 16.21 per ounce
16 Mar: USD 17.46, GBP 14.21 & EUR 16.28 per ounce
15 Mar: USD 16.91, GBP 13.87 & EUR 15.92 per ounce
14 Mar: USD 17.00, GBP 14.02 & EUR 15.99 per ounce
13 Mar: USD 17.02, GBP 13.92 & EUR 15.95 per ounce
10 Mar: USD 16.89, GBP 13.91 & EUR 15.92 per ounce
Recent Market Updates
– Gold Cup – Horse Racing’s Greatest Show, Gambling and ‘Going for Gold’
– Gold Up 1.8%, Silver Up 2.6% After Dovish Fed Signals Slow Rate Rises
– Most Overvalued Stock Market On Record — Worse Than 1929?
– EU Crisis Is Existential – Importance of Tomorrow’s Vote
– Digital Gold On Blockchain – For Now Caveat Emptor
– Gold $10,000 Coming – “Time To Prepare Is Now”
– Silver Very Undervalued from Historical Perpective of Ancient Greece
– Gold Investing 101 – Beware Unallocated Gold Accounts With Indebted Bullion Banks and Mints (Part II)
– Gold Investing 101 – Beware eBay, Collectibles and “Pure” Gold Coins that are Gold Plated
– “Think About and Prepare For” Euro Catastrophe
– Silver On Sale – 4% Fall On Massive $2 Billion of Futures Selling
– Trump Avoid Debt Crisis ? “Extremely Unlikely” – Rickards
– Art Market Bubble Bursting – Gauguin Priced At $85 Million Collapses 74%
Interested in learning more about physical gold and silver?
Call GoldCore and speak with a gold and silver specialist today